Sunday, November 9, 2008

Finally, Some Updates

After creating my blog about a month ago now I am finally getting around to posting more stuff. We just got internet in our apartment this past Thursday. I am no longer dependent on the slow computers at school or the local library. Yea!

I have been getting my money’s worth out of my bicycle (my Sekai 2400) that I brought over. We had no class the Monday following All Saints’ Day, and I spent some of that time on by bike exploring the network of roads that zig zag through the nearby hills. The riding is great if you enjoy climbing steep twisty grades and later rewarding yourself by flying down the narrow winding blacktop. Watch out for cars!

The last week of October was a fun one at school since we did Halloween related activities during most of the English classes. The highlight of the week – at least for me – was the Jack O’Lantern that I carved. The kids really got a kick out of it when we would lower the binds, switch off the lights and light the candle. It was the first time most had seen a glowing pumpkin with a face. Little kids’ expressions and reactions are the best!

Several weeks back I went to Madrid with the other English assistant at my school. We took in a few of the “must see” museums like el Museo del Prado and Reina Sofia. It was cool to see some of the famous paintings especially of Piccasso and Goya. Madrid has no shortage of historic plazas and palaces of which we saw a few. Of course, I had to go to the botanical garden there as well. They had quite a mix of flora there – I’m not really sure how they get such diversity of plants and trees to grow in that single environment. Included in the collection were such exotic species as red pine and sugar maple.

No comments: