Sunday, November 16, 2008

A day in Cordoba

This weekend I went with my roommates on a day trip to Cordoba, just an hour away by train. The once capital of Al-Andalus, the Moorish kingdom of southern Spain, is rich in history and architecture. We visited the Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos, a military styled building constructed in 1328. By far the most well-known and impressive architecture of Cordoba can be found in what is now called La Mesquita. Originally built as a mosque (mezquita) in the eight century its was, like many others converted into a cathedral. It's quite a sight.

As we walked through Cordoba's central plaza we came across a group of people protesting "la crisis financiera". I am not sure what the public reaction or perception of the financial crisis in the States, but it is interesting to see the response to it here. I made my way through the gathering crowd and tried to get a copy of the pamphlets they were passing out, but they didn't have any more. Sigh. It was my first Spanish protest that I have been part of!

Check out my photos of my weekend at:
http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/album.php?aid=183214&id=578155077&ref=mf

No comments: